Summer Space Must-Haves
Summer is the perfect season to enjoy the outdoors with warm sunshine and cool breezes. Whether you prefer relaxing on your patio or reclining in your favorite indoor easy chair, you’ll want your surroundings to reflect a wonderful summer ambiance. Here are some must-haves that will help you create the perfect summer home.
An Outdoor Room
Recent outdoor living trends have made outdoor rooms a popular must-have feature with homeowners. You don’t have to build an expensive outdoor structure to create a great outdoor space. If you have a patio or deck, you can turn them into private rooms where you can cook, dine, entertain and relax. Here are important elements you’ll need:
- Privacy – For privacy, install fabric panels, shades or privacy screens. Colorful fabric panels or draperies made from washable, durable outdoor fabrics are fade resistant and easy to maintain. Natural bamboo or synthetic shades or slatted privacy screens will provide a simplistic, contemporary look. Draperies, shades and privacy screens will also provide protection from sun, heat, wind and rain.
- Entertaining – An outdoor room provides the perfect place for an outdoor kitchen, dining table and chairs, and cozy seating for guests. Outdoor kitchens can be equipped with grills, refrigerators, sinks, wine coolers, and convenient accessories. A dining table and weather-friendly furnishings will create an outdoor space that’s great for summer gatherings with family and friends.
- Relaxation – An outdoor room filled with beautiful furnishings and summer colors provides the perfect spot for those lazy afternoons with a cup of tea or your favorite novel. Decorate with comfortable settees, chairs and ottomans, plenty of throw pillows, plants or flowers, and beautiful candles. For afternoon naps, don’t forget a cozy hammock and a cool ceiling fan. Bring in colors that reflect the summer season and complement colors inside your home.
The summer season should reflect summer colors. You can decorate with vivid hues like red, orange, purple, pink and yellow found in many summer flowers or cool hues like blue and green found in summer skies and outdoor foliage. Whether you choose bright, vivid colors or soft, relaxing colors, they should complement furnishings, colors and materials used throughout your home. Great summer accessories include:
- Colorful Dishware – Colorful dishware is great for festive summer-themed parties. You can find colorful ceramic plates, bowls and mugs., as well as blown glass tumblers, wine glasses, candle holders and decorative accessories in a variety of beautiful summer shades.
- Accent Pieces – Accessories like artwork, vases, throw pillows, ottomans, and area rugs have a big impact on the design appeal of a room. To create a summer ambiance, replace heavy fabrics with lighter-weight fabrics like cotton or linen. Replace dark colors with lighter summer colors that create an atmosphere of comfort and relaxation.
- Plants – Summer is a major growth season for plants and flowers in your yard. You can bring a summer ambiance indoors by using plants and flowers throughout your home. You can choose green plants in colorful ceramic pots, blooming varieties in natural wooden containers, or cut flowers in colored or clear vases.
- Lighting – During the summer season, you want soft lighting that provides a cozy, inviting atmosphere. Consider a new dining room chandelier with glass crystals and linen shades. Replace dark lamp shades with crisp linen or sultry silk shades. Install indoor and outdoor sconces with simulated candlelight for a soft glow. The right lighting and fixtures can transform your room!
When you think of summer, you think of sunshine, colorful flowers and relaxing evenings. To create stunning summer ambiance indoors and outdoors, think about those same things when decorating your home.
If you enjoyed this blog you may want to read our blog about, “2016 Drought Tolerant Landscaping Trends.”
Smith Brothers is a unique team of construction craftsmen, architects, and interior designers. Since 1978, we stress the absolute highest levels of quality, performance, value and service in each and every project. Our award-winning design ideas, expertise, and collective experience allow us to provide the very best in what we do. For more information please contact us at 877-230-0333, (+01) 858-350-1445, or email@example.com.